Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Should I Unpack?

I do feel like a temporary lodger -- don't bother filling up the dresser drawers, just live out of the suitcase.  I, and everyone else, know I am low, low, loooooow man on The List and will be the first casualty come staff reductions. Pink slips are a way of life here in California Education and I will actually consider it a promotion when I get one; last year I had to tell every concerned parent that "No, I did not get a pink slip, I'm just a lowly sub working a full teacher's position for sub pay and no benefits."  Well, that's what I would have said if they stayed around to listen, but the sympathy dried up instantly after "did not get--" and the concerned parents quickly moved to on to the Real Teachers who were suffering greatly in their martyrdom. 

Anyway, the teacher that vacated this classroom left a bunch of stuff, most of it covered in thick layers of dust.  I was hesitant to touch anything, or move the furniture around, especially after the Principal popped in and mentioned he hadn't moved any of his predecessor's stuff for a year... But then I figured a few things:
  1. I'm going to be here until July, so I might as well look at my own kids, books, and pencil holders...
  2. I can't find a darn thing I'm looking for anyway, so might as well shove it all in the closets...
  3. It's all about the students, not about worrying about stepping on other teachers' toes...
  4. Whadda they gonna do, fire me?!?*
So yeah, I'm moving the desks and shelves and changing the wall stuff and marking my territory. Not literally, of course.



*not as funny as I thought it was going to be ten minutes ago. I don't want to get fired. I don't like pink. I love this school. Maybe I can just hide in there all summer and simply be there in September. Squatter's rights and all...

No comments: