Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ummm... anyone have a copy of Katie's Trunk I can borrow?

I'm teaching it on Tuesday, but 2 libraries and 4 bookstores later, I haven't read it yet.

It looks like I'm in charge of most of the Language Arts; not really "in charge" since we're following the HoutMiff program and Master Teacher's years and years of prior lesson notes, but she is letting me do most of the teaching. Morning activity, main lesson, grammar group, spelling tests...

I also have several bulletin boards to do... is this in my job description?

odds and ends from the first "full" week:

1. I think I'm going to love teaching.
2. Oh man, do I wish I was getting paid for this.
3. 5th graders really, really should brush their teeth well every morning before school. Twice.
4. How big is the crate the Math materials come in? There's a several edition volume for the teacher, a reference book, a skill book, a worksheet book...
5. There could be two clocks on every wall and my Flava Flav edition watch on my wrist and I still would have no idea what time it is...
6a. There is a brief occurance of pure stillness, a moment as close to peace and calm one can find this side of the Pearly Gates, every afternoon at 2:51 as the last student leaves the classroom.
6b. There is a similar moment of stillness every morning, in that last second before the bell rings, but instead of peace it is filled with anticipation-- the same sense of anticipation I assume one feels right before a Great White shark attacks. Or more precisely, 30 Great White sharks attack.

3 comments:

Alana said...

Glad it's going well!

...and for what it's worth, some of my 8th graders could really stand to brush their teeth twice too! :)

TeachEnEspanol said...

I remember the endless bulletin boards. And to be honest, if I had a student teacher, I would make them do mine. They are a pain! (but you know...good luck with that)

Also, I love the way you write. It makes me smile. :)

Mr. Nauton said...

Gracias, Maestra!

It's not that I mind doing bulletin boards, it's just that I get carried away, do too much, and they look like a craft store clearance bin exploded...