Friday, August 22, 2014

Inspiration to Perspiration

I went from "Finally!" to "Now what?!?" in less than 12 hours.

In the time it took me to drink an entire bottle of champagne then jolt awake at 4:45am I went from relieved the application/interview/hiring process was over and brimming with ideas to inspire and educate 30 young minds to terrified with the prospect of not having even the slightest idea as to what I was getting into and what I am supposed to do.

So what is a new teacher feeling with just over one week before school starts?

  • Nauseated (then again, see champagne contribution above)
  • Nervous
  • Unprepared
  • Panicked
  • Lost
  • Clueless
  • Embarrassed (what if someone finds out I'm clueless?)
  • Overwhelmed
  • Shy
  • Jittery
  • Duplicitous (did I lie when I said I could do this?)
  • Confused
Part of it is the fact that I don't know yet what grade I'll be teaching. Probably 4th, but maybe 2nd or 3rd? Since I don't know the grade level no one knew what room I would be in. I think I will feel much better, more confident and prepared, once I'm standing in our classroom with specific students to plan for.

I hope.

Do teachers throw up on the first day of school?